British troops have been deployed to Poland’s border with Belarus as tensions escalate over a migrant crisis. Mariusz Blaszczak, the Polish defence minister, said that British Royal Engineers had been sent on a “reconnaissance” exercise with Nato allies amid a standoff between Minsk and Warsaw over the fate of hundreds of migrants trying to reach the European Union. Syrian, Iraqi and Yemeni refugees have been massing on the border for days.
The UN security council has accused Belarus of using migrants to destabilise the EU’s eastern border. Russia has been conducting snap drills in Belarus close to the frontier with Poland in a show of support for its close ally. Warsaw has accused Vladimir Putin of exploiting the migrant crisis in an attempt to destabilise the West. Defence sources said that the deployment of British troops was a sign of “allied solidarity”.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said:
“The UK and Poland have a long history of friendship and are Nato allies. A small team of UK armed forces personnel have deployed following agreement with the Polish government to explore how we can provide engineering support to address the ongoing situation at the Belarus border.”
What we are seeing now is a crisis between Belarus and Poland. Russia is backing Belarus and Britain is backing Poland. In Bible terms we have the king of north (Russia) pushing against the king of the south (Britain) on the Polish / Belarus border. We know the king of the south will “push” at the king of north….
And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push [militarily provoke] at him [Gog]: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over. (Daniel 11:40)
> Find last weeks Weekly World Watch: Download this week’s WWW
- In Eastern Europe the Foundations of the European Union in danger
- Russia reacting to attempts to break ‘strategic parity’
- Middle East migrants lured into thinking Belarus would provide a gateway to Europe
- Soldiers forcibly preventing migrants entering Poland
- Iraq to repatriate citizens from Belarus-Poland border
- Russian bombers fly over Belarus as border crisis deepens
- Another Border Crisis
- Are we shambling into WWIII?
- „Ent-Grenzung“: Gegen die nationale Identität und den Schutz unserer Grenzen
- Poland faces months of migration pressure from Belarus
- Poland faces months of migration pressure from Belarus, Minister says
- John Bolton Says U.S. Should Consider Ousting Belarus’ Lukashenko From Office to ‘a Nice Villa on the Riviera’
- (Poland) Latest: #MigrantCrisis Border Report: Polish border guards have fought off an attack by hundreds of migrants at the frontier with Belarus with water cannon and flash grenades this morning, in the latest escalation of tensions on the EU’s eastern front
- #Belarus has stopped pumping oil through the #Druzhba pipeline to Poland.
- On the way to doom. The danger of war grows day by day. By Wolfgang Bittner