The United States Peace Council
At no time since the Cuban missile crisis has our world has been so close to disaster. As the war in Ukraine approaches its first anniversary, it is being increasingly transformed by the Biden administration and the “collective west” into a war between NATO and Russia. The danger of turning into a nuclear confrontation is imminent.
The 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis was a wake-up call in the midst of Cold War, warning just how close a nuclear World War III could be. Unlike today, both sides sought accommodation. They understood that a retreat from war was in their mutual interest. The Anti-Ballistic Missile and the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaties, now scrapped, were negotiated.
Back then, an international peace movement with a robust US contingent amplified the demand for a peaceful world. Such voices are much diminished now. Unlike in the past, not a single Democrat in Congress spoke out for peace, leaving the ideological terrain for war virtually uncontested. Particularly unfortunate are the voices, including some in the U.S. “left,” who continue to beat the drums of war by calling for the continuation of war until the victory of Ukraine. That would only mean the victory of NATO in an all-out war with Russia.
Negotiated peace agreements are not based so much on trust as on the mutual understanding that the alternative is in neither side’s interest. Arguing as some on the “left” do that “Putin’s Russia cannot be trusted,” disregards the fact that no negotiation between warring parties has ever been based on trust.
The undeniable reality facing us should make us all aware of the urgency for negotiations and a diplomatic solution to this war.
The war in and around Ukraine must end. There should be no dispute about that. All wars end either with negotiations or with the victory of one side or the other. Given that this war is not merely between Russia and Ukraine but is between Russia and a Western-backed Ukraine, the first option — for victory — is impossible. Neither Russia (a major nuclear power) nor the Western powers (many of them being major nuclear powers) will tolerate anything near a defeat.
If a military victory is not possible, then the only way forward is for negotiations. War is not an answer. Escalating this war should not be promoted by those who believe in international cooperation and genuine peace. Those who fail to call for negotiations in the midst of this contentious period — with the war ongoing and its impact intensifying a cost-of-living crisis around the world — fail to understand the dangerous predicament that faces the planet.
Contact: U.S. Peace Council, P.O. Box 3105, New Haven, CT 06515, Call:(203) 387-0370, Email: USPC@USPeaceCouncil.org
- Are we shambling into WWIII?
- The peoples must prevent the outbreak of war in Europe
- Indy briefing for the second week of March 2022
- Russian army wants to make Ukraine the Syria from Europe
- Weekly World Watch March 13 – 19, 2022
- Bioethics after Ukraine
- Has Ukraine become a Symbol of ‘Freedom’
- Has Russia already started World War Three?
- 2022 towards its end
- Europe sucked into a war against Russia
Find also to read
- Watch Crisis in Crimea & Ukraine – talk from 2014!
- A useless but very dangerous challenge game
- Looking at a “Man from the North” endangering the world
- Putin threatens nuclear strikes if West intervenes
- ‘Desperate’ Vladimir Putin may use tactical nuclear weapons, warns CIA chief
- Putin puts Russia’s nuclear force on high alert
- A Jew who would be a Nazi who has to be killed according president Putin
- Overcoming The Terror Of War
- Ukraine war is veering fast towards a big power conflict
- Yulia Tymoshenko: We are in World War Three already
- Signs of the Times – On manoeuvres
- Nations being Prepared for Christ’s Appearance
- Our Ukrainian brothers and sisters
- Our brothers in Kyiv’s northwest suburb Irpin
- Britain’s secret diplomacy and the European wars
- Rumors of War
- Geopolitics and War
- Webinar: Dangers of World War III and Space War
- Failing To Recreate The Past
- WWIII Is Coming!
- The world is too big for Europe and America to isolate Russia – Peskov
- Propaganda of War… Czekmate
- Debunking information on Ukraine’s war – An analysis of Russia’s false narratives
- Watching War
- Great Distraction
- Existential Threat + Existential Threat = World War. Are We Mired In World War E[conomic] / World War III? (November 21, 2022)
- Our So-Called Foreign Policy: Pointless Polls on Ukraine
- Putin’s Nuclear Gambit
- #Putin Deploys 11 Nuclear Bombers Ahead Of Apocalyptic World War III
- ‘World War III’ Review: History Rhymes in Iran’s Tragicomic Oscar Submission
- ‘World War 3 Has Already Started’ Between US and Russia/China, Argues French Scholar
- Timeline D+2 (14 September 1989)
- Post WWIII 1988 Project Idea #1: Liberty In Peril- The North American Campaign of World War III 1989-1990
- Liberty In Peril Preview #1
- Liberty In Peril Preview #2
- 2023 — Don’t go there!
- Ukraine 2023 Update: Challengers, Leopards and Abrams Will Be Heading To Ukraine
- World War III – Can you Survive?
- NATO’s Jens Stoltenberg calls for ‘significant increase’ in weapons for Ukraine
- Red doubt, questionable criticism – Dagsavisen
- Arms aid to Ukraine? This is what local Rødt politicians think – Dagsavisen
- Western tanks won’t be game changer in Ukraine – Russia
- U.S. Extends Troop Deployment in Romania, at Ukraine War’s Doorstep
- Russia warns West of ‘global tragedy’
- US to label Russia’s Wagner Group a ‘criminal organization’
- The world has known about and allowed the brutality of the Wagner group for years – Dagsavisen
- Estonia and Latvia remove Russian ambassadors as tensions rise
- – Being the target of the regime’s ravages was quite shocking – Dagsavisen
- Germany Approves Shipment Of Tanks
- – A new era – Dagsavisen
- US Confirms It Is To Send 31 Abraham Tanks To Ukraine
- The Ukraine War, in black and white; Comic strip aims to ‘debunk Russian propaganda’
- Russia Accuses Western Nations Of “Direct Involvement” In Russo-Ukrainian War
- First come the tanks, then the nukes, Trump calls on Biden to end the crazy in Ukraine
- Russia rolls out combat robot to detect and destroy Leopard 2, Abrams tanks
- ‘Fierce’ battle in Ukraine for Vugledar near Donetsk
- The Biblical Armageddon
- Armageddon? Do not be deceived by the current headlines about a coming Nuclear Apocalypse or Armageddon!
One thought on “Ukraine War: Those who fail to call for negotiations, fail to understand the dangerous predicament that faces the planet!”