Israel could make moves to position itself as a central gas exporter in the Middle East, as tensions surrounding the war in Ukraine have led to discussion about alternatives to Russia’s gas exports. While it is already supplying gas to Jordan and Egypt, if the right steps are taken, Israel has the potential to become a natural gas source for Europe, as well.
“Europe is completely hysterical that it sits in the hands of Putin,”
said Dr. Alexander Coman, from the Faculty of Management at Tel Aviv University.
“The idea that Putin is sitting with his hand on the faucet and can, at will, open or close gas supply to Europe – this is a terrible scenario for them.”
It is, however, a brilliant opportunity for Israel: in its current position, Europe would do much to find alternative sources to its fuel supply needs.
“One of the ways is an alternative pipeline that will bring gas – or perhaps electricity – from Egypt, Israel and [perhaps] Saudi Arabia to Europe, through Cyprus,”
Even though the 11-billion dollar Nord Stream 2 pipeline linking Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea is completed and ready to start operation, experts were unanimous this week that the project has no future. In their words “it is dead forever.” Therefore the EU needs to quickly find new gas energy supplies. Israel could be one of those suppliers. Israel became a key supplier of natural gas to energy-thirsty Egypt in January 2020 after starting production from its Tamar and Leviathan offshore gas fields. If Israel does talk to the EU this will raise Russia’s ire. The Bible says that Gog will come down to take a spoil from Israel. That spoil could be gas. An article in a daily Jewish magazine said
“Russia’s Next Target for Intimidation Could Be Israel.”
Thus saith the Lord GOD; It shall also come to pass, that at the same time shall things come into thy mind, and thou [Gog] shalt think an evil thought: And thou shalt say, I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates, (Ezekiel 38;10-12)
To take a spoil
Find the Weekly World Watch: Download Weekly World Watch
- Russia taking full advantage of energy crisis in Europe
- Germany blocks Nord Stream 2 pipe from Russia
- Russia not wanting it neighbours countries to cooperate with the West
- Key element to the Ukrainian-Russian conflict
- Russian government planning a “false-flag” operation
- What a week it had been the third week of February 2022
- The war in Ukraine – what caused it?
- The Empire Strikes Back
- European Climate Leaders see effects of Russian invasion as opportunity for Renewable Energy #nordstream2
- Shell to exit four joint ventures with Russia’s Gazprom
- The EU should take away the knife from Russia: salami tactics and Nord Stream 2
- Sanctions, nuclear fear, conscription – that’s what the Germans think about the war *** BILDplus Inhalt *** – Domestic politics
- Russian Gas Gets New Rival in Europe as Caspian Field Starts
- Moldova and Gazprom agree on a new contract on gas supplies | Economy in Germany and the World: News and Analytics
- Germany pulls the plug on major Russian gas pipeline, but not Russian gas
- Nord Stream 2 AG is on the verge of bankruptcy after US sanctions
- The Crisis In Ukraine Is Not About Ukraine: It’s About Germany
- Wintershall Dea will write off funding for Nord Stream 2 | News from Germany about Germany
- Gas pumping to Germany via the Yamal-Europe pipeline is suspended | News from Germany about Russia
- That’s what the Germans think about the war: sanctions, nuclear fear, conscription – domestic politics
- The US is releasing its oil reserves. How will the Saudis and Russians respond?
- Expert: Ukraine needs to prepare for the end of the transit of Russian gas | Economy in Germany and the World: News and Analytics
- Nordstream 2
- Nord Stream 2 operator declares bankruptcy
- Analysis: Renewables on the burner as gas pipeline dominates Imran Khan’s Russia trip
- Ukraine war: Spain and Portugal call on EU to coordinate energy supply
- Despite sanctions! – We pay Putin 200 million euros every day *** BILDplus Inhalt *** – Politics abroad
- Ship carrying Russian gas docks in Spain
- Uniper writes off Nord Stream 2 and wants to sell Unipro in Russia | Economic news from Germany