|English: Elias Cornelius Boudinot (1835 – 1890) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
In 2016 Thanksgiving day should not only be a day for saying thanks for everything we get, but should also be a day when we contemplate and seriously think about the way how we are showing are thankfulness to God to others in the world.
New Jersey Congressman, president of the Continental Congress, director of the U.S. Mint and American Bible Society\’s first president Elias Boudinot is one of the forgotten founding fathers of the New World. In part Americans should be thankful also to him for having that American national holiday Thanksgiving.
Rooted in a passion for God’s Word Elias Boudinot declared before the U.S. House of Representatives that prayer and thanks were due to God for America’s existence. According to the Annals of Congress, Boudinot stated that he
“could not think of letting the session pass over without offering an opportunity to all the citizens of the United States of joining with one voice in returning to Almighty God their sincere thanks for the many blessings he had poured down upon them.”
Although many members of the House dismissed his proposal, Boudinot stuck by it. Almost two weeks later, President George Washington warmed to the idea.
On October 3, 1789, Washington distributed a Thanksgiving Proclamation to the Governors of the States, calling for the
\”institution of a national day of prayer and thanksgiving”
“Thursday, the 26th day of November…to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be.”
In Scriptures thankfulness is prominent and rabbi Jeshua asked his followers to show their gratitude to the Most High Divine Creator. One way of showing such gratitude was by not being afraid to use the Almighty God His Divine Name (Jehovah) and by letting the world know how God wants them to come close to Him and recognise Him as their heavenly Father.
Jesus asked to
Though we may find it sometimes very difficult to live in this world, the Apostle Paul asked us to
\”Be joyful always, pray at all times, be thankful in all circumstances\” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
Yes, in all circumstances … also in times when we do have it not easy, or when we do have much pain. Being troubled with certain illnesses can bring lots of pains to endure every day. Do know in the Word of God, the bible you may find strength and you shall be able to find the strength to conquer that pain.
Living in this world, not being of it, we also should feel thankfulness not just as one of multiple good qualities that believers should have, but a core impulse of human worship. In Romans 1, where Paul describes the depravity of the Gentiles, he first establishes the idea that God’s nature can be seen in creation, and so humans have no excuse.
“They know God, but they do not give him the honor that belongs to him, nor do they thank him” (Romans 1:21).
Do you know Him? Do you give Him the full respect?
God has blessed us with all the things around us and with the life we do have. We should know He provided the Way to Him, by means of His only begotten beloved son, who was willing to offer himself for us. How much do we want to give to God? Are we willing to do His Will, like Jesus did His Will? Are we willing to recognise His grace and to respond with a thank-You?
Do we want to show our thankfulness to God in the way we live and in the way we go about with others? Are you as such aware that your sayings, your way of voting or choosing for someone, shows your attitude to life but also your attitude to the universe of the Divine Creator.
- Words of God to stand and to be followed and to believe
- A Start for looking at the unseen and the treasure to look forward to
- True God giving His Word for getting wisdom
- Being thankful
- As Christ’s slaves doing the Will of God in gratitude
- Be vigilant with a view to prayers
- Be sound in mind and be vigilant with a view to prayers
- Praying and acts of meditation without ceasing
- Give thanks to יהוה! For He is good, For His kindness is everlasting
- Praise and give thanks to God the Most Highest
- Let them thank the Lord for …
- Give thanks to the One Who gave much
- Give Thanks To God
- Thanksgiving wisdom: Why gratitude is good for your health
- By counting our blessings we not only feel good, but we multiply our good
- Trusting, Faith, Calling and Ascribing to Jehovah #5 Prayer #1 Listening Sovereign Maker
- Trusting, Faith, Calling and Ascribing to Jehovah #8 Prayer #6 Communication and manifestation
- Trusting, Faith, Calling and Ascribing to Jehovah #10 Prayer #8 Condition
- Trusting, Faith, Calling and Ascribing to Jehovah #15 Exposition before the Creator
- Trusting, Faith, Calling and Ascribing to Jehovah #16 Benefits of praying
- Self-development, self-control, meditation, beliefs and spirituality
- Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name
- Bring praise to the Creator
- Praise Jehovah, You people
- A Meaningful Thanksgivukkah
- Hanukkahgiving or Thanksgivvukah
- A Meaningful Thanksgivukkah
- Thanksgivukkah and Advent
- Continuing Paul’s Prayer Requests
- My God
- The Proper Place of Excess
- Stopped Breathing
- Give your worries to God
- Only the contrite self, sick of its pretensions, can find salvation
- He who kneels before God can stand before anyone!
- If your difficulties are longstanding, try kneeling
- Life in gratitude opens glory of God
- A Living Faith #6 Sacrifice
- A gift of 86,400 seconds
- Thanking God by thinking of people